On February 12, 2014, we discussed on #ProdChat, the topic: Keeping Your Team Productive. Here are the discussion questions, articles and other notes that I found, noted or wrote in the process of preparing for the tweetchat. Please add any other resources or links you think would help!
Here are the discussion questions:
Q1: WHAT’S ONE AREA OF IMPROVEMENT YOU’D LIKE FOR YOUR TEAM’S PRODUCTIVITY? #prodchat
Q2: WHAT ARE THE CORE TENETS OF GOOD TEAM MANAGEMENT? #prodchat
Q3: HOW DOES A MANAGER FIND TIME TO EMPOWER TEAM PRODUCTIVITY? HOW DO YOU “WALK A MILE” IN YOUR EMPLOYEE’S SHOES? #prodchat
Q4: HOW DO YOU MANAGE YOUR PROJECTS AND TASKS WITH YOUR TEAM? #prodchat
Q5: HOW DO YOU AVOID MICROMANAGING YOUR TEAM AND THEIR PRODUCTIVITY? #prodchat
Q6: SO, WHERE DO YOU START WITH DETERMINING THE NEEDS OF YOUR TEAM’S PRODUCTIVITY? #prodchat
I have placed an asterisk next to the resources I found especially helpful.
- Praise Process Not the Person when Giving Feedback*
- The Two Most Important Words Managers Should Say Regularly
- Make Sure You’re Not De-Motivating Your Team
- Use Teamwork to Achieve Lofty Goals
- How To Be A Great Leader And Make Your Team Successful
- 5 Workplace Strategies to Supercharge Team Productivity
- 5 Awesome Project Management Tools to Get Your Team on Track*
- 5 Management Practices That Kill Employee Productivity
- Ask the Entrepreneurs: 21 Systems to Boost Business Productivity for Good
- 5 Sure Ways to Manage a Happy and Productive Team
- Make Your Team Smarter, Happier and More Productive Without Spending a Dime
- Leadership 101: How to Help Your Team to Be More Productive
- 7 tips to make your employees happier, more creative and productive*
- 10 Mistakes Companies Make That Destroy Employee Productivity
- Design Tips for a More Productive Office
- Be more productive using better Focus, Time Management,Organization and Efficiency*
- How to Set Goals That Keep Your Team on Track
- 10 Ways You’re Making Your Employees Less Productive
- Reduce Your Work in Progress to Make Your Whole Team More Productive
- Can a daily dose of nature make your team happier, healthier and more productive?*
These are additional random thoughts and questions that came up in the process of writing the discussion questions:
- Fear (criticism, long hours, job security, etc.) versus praise/recognition
- LifeHack.org: build a culture triangulated on trust, respect and engagement. How?
- According to management theories X, Y and Z, EEs are lazy, self-motivated or a little of both, respectively. How does categorizing EEs help (or hurt) team productivity?
- How do you handle praise and criticism for the most productive outcomes within a team?
- Project Ownership – who “owns” the project? Hot potato management, delegation, teamwork pitfalls?
- Meetings! (future #prodchat tweetchats covering different aspects of overcoming meeting challenges)
- What at work are hurdles, policies, distractions or otherwise keep your team from being productive?
— Inc. (@Inc) February 13, 2014